Airport Authority Reminds Community to Recognize, Report Suspicious Activity
Punta Gorda, FL (Sept. 21, 2020) – The Charlotte County Airport Authority (Airport Authority) proudly supports Florida’s “If You See Something, Say Something®” (Florida See Say) Awareness Day on September 25 to help inspire, empower, and educate the public on suspicious activity reporting. The Florida See Say campaign raises public awareness of the indicators of terrorism and terrorism-related crime, as well as the importance of reporting suspicious activity to state and local law enforcement.
The National Threat Assessment Center (NTAC) released a report in August 2020 on Mass Attacks in Public Spaces and found that 66% of attackers exhibited behaviors that elicited concern in other people. With COVID-19 and an active hurricane season putting extra stressors on our citizens, educating Florida’s communities on suspicious activity indicators is essential to protecting our communities from potential threats.
Businesses can help play a role on September 25th by:
- Educating their staff on suspicious activity indicators. Industry-specific indicators for over 20 industries are available at FLSeeSay.org.
- Including Florida See Say suspicious activity indicators in new employee training.
- Posting Florida See Say posters/displaying PSAs in breakrooms for employees.
Citizens can help play a role on September 25th by:
- Familiarizing themselves with what suspicious activity looks like.
- Reporting suspicious activity to local law enforcement.
- Educating their children/students on suspicious activity.
Schools can help play a role by on September 25th by:
- Using the ‘Take the Challenge’ PSA series to teach students to be aware of their surroundings.
- Displaying ‘Why I See Say’ PSA’s on TV’s in breakrooms or monitors inside your school.
- Reassessing your school’s safety readiness plans to identify the efforts your school is already taking to address school safety.
To access Florida See Say suspicious activity indicators, PSA’s, posters and more, visit FLSeeSay.org.
# # #